Healthy Spring Chicken Recipe
Chicken, Cauliflower & Artichokes
Complete Meal, Protein, Meat
The flavors of this dish sing! The lemon coming through in the perfect way to make the dish the best spring time dinner in your rotation.
TIP: Save time by using frozen artichoke hearts, available at Kroger stores and Trader Joe's.
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed and sliced (or sub frozen)
- one lemon, zest and juice.
- 4-6 chicken thighs (bone in skin on)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter, divided.
- 1 large leek, sliced and rinsed, drained.
- 1 head of cauliflower, sliced into florets.
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 Cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1/2 Cup half and half
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, divided
- Zest the lemon, set zest aside.
- Prep the artichokes (if using fresh) . Fill a med bowl with 4 cups cold water and squeeze with the juice from the lemon. Because artichokes will easily brown, work on one at a time as quickly as possible. Snap off all the hard out leaves using your fingers ( See note ) With a sharp paring knife, trim off all the outer green skin around the base and stem, keeping the stem in tact. Remove the yellowish soft leaves and using a spoon, gently scrape away the white or purple silk like threads. Immediately place in the lemon water, to prevent browning. Slice just before placing in the skillet.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 T butter and 1 T olive oil in a heavy bottom oven proof skillet over med high heat.
- Place chicken skin side down and sear for until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Turn and brown undersides until golden, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Drain some of the chicken fat, leaving about 1 tablespoon oil in the pan. Add 1 tablespoon more butter.
- Add leeks, sliced artichokes, sliced cauliflower and some fennel seeds. Saute on med heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until they just begin to soften. Season with a generous pinch of kosher salt and pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine. Reduce heat by half for about 4 minutes.
- Add stock, mustard and more fennel seeds, half and half, half of the fresh parsley and 1/2 of the zest.
- Bring to a simmer, and taste broth adjusting salt and pepper.
- Nestle the chicken pieces into the stew with skin sides up, and roast in a hot 425 F oven for 20-30 minutes, until golden, and thigh internal temp is 170F, or breast internal temp is 160F.
- If needed, broil for a couple minutes to get skin extra crispy.
- Garnish with remaining lemon zest and fresh parsley before serving.
If using fresh artichokes, save the leaves and blanch for another meal!